I know that there are probably like 100 x infinity recipes for banana bread out there, but the way I see it, it’s one of the things that you should totally have a solid, reliable, go-to recipe for in your repertoire. It’s right up there with classic red velvet cupcakes, classic gingerbread man cookies, and classic mojitos; they’re not revolutionary ideas, but they’re also big crowd-pleasers that never go out of style, so they belong in your arsenal. Little by little I’ve been chipping away at that mountain of “classics” and sharing my favorite variations, so I figure it’s about time banana bread was added to the list!
Here’s what this bread is NOT ➝ crazy, fancy, or complicated. What it IS is super-simple, no-frills, and pretty darn foolproof. It’s the kind of bread that you bake when you just need to “do” and not think, when you don’t have the will to deal with anything going wrong, and when you want something comforting and familiar to fill your kitchen with sweet scents and your taste buds with simple perfection. It’s moist and tender without branching into sogginess and just the right amount of sweet to be true to a classic banana bread without becoming a cake in loaf form. There’s no nuts (although you could probably add them, but WHY in the world would you do such a thing?! :p) and nothing else to detract from the pure flavors of bananas whipped up with sugar, flour, and a few other staple ingredients. Plus, all you need is two bowls, a whisk, and about 10 minutes of hands-on time to throw this together; if you can pour ingredients into a bowl and mix them together, you’ve got this!Print
Classic Banana Bread
A super-simple recipe for classic banana bread with a tender, moist crumb and just the right amount of sweetness. A perfect go-to recipe to add to your repertoire!
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 1 9″x5″ loaf 1x
- 4 1/4 ounces (1 cup, spoon and level) all-purpose flour
- 3 1/8 ounces (3/4 cup, spoon and level) whole wheat pastry flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 1/2 ounces (1 cup) mashed banana
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) unrefined coconut oil, melted and briefly cooled
- 3 3/4 ounces (1/2 cup, packed) brown sugar
- 3 1/2 ounces (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 2 7/8 ounces (1/3 cup) low fat buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- Preheat oven to 325ºF and grease a 9″x5″ loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate, large bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, melted coconut oil, sugars, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean seeds until well-combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and fold in just until evenly incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hr 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool in pan for about 20 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Wrap cooled loaf in plastic wrap or seal in a zip-top bag and store at room temperature.
*Feel free to substitute the whole wheat pastry flour with all-purpose flour if desired.
Recipe adapted from All Recipes