This is monumental you guys. Today, after just about 4(!!!) years of blogging, I finally get to add a waffle section to the site. French toast has been around here for a while, pancakes have yet to make an appearance, and for the very first time we have a waffle recipe! It’s exciting stuff.
Of course, it figures that I’d start things off with your totally non-standard waffle — we’re talking savory, syrup-less, breakfast-for-dinner type waffles — but they’re every bit as good as their sweet counterparts, so why not? (Side note: who am I, saying savory is just as good as sweet? Not normal behavior AT ALL, but regardless…) They’re hearty and cheesy, with chives and cornmeal upping the flavor factor even more, annnnnd they couldn’t be easier to make – nothing fancy or complicated going on at all. The one thing you must, must do though, is eat them with a dollop of sour cream and (even better) a fried egg on top. ← That’s really what you call breakfast for dinner, allllll the way.
In other, also exciting news, today’s post comes with a giveaway! I just recently learned about a brand new cooking oil called ExtraOrigin OmegaOil, which is a blend of healthy oils (olive, coconut, flax, sunflower, avocado, and chia to be exact) that has a 1:1 ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6, and since I’m REALLY partial to whole food oils over things like canola oil and butter, I was super excited to try it out. I reminds me of olive oil but with a bit more of a neutral flavor, so I think it might even work well with some sweet baked goods, but it was perfect in these waffles. It’s still a really new product and the brand is planning to launch on Kickstarter next month, but in the meantime, I get to give away two bottles, righthererightnow!!
To enter, just check out the Rafflecopter form below. The giveaway will be open until 11:59 PM on Wednesday, July 1st (shipping to US addresses only this time!). In the meantime, if you’re interested, you can stay in the know with the company’s progress here. And now that I’ve talked more than enough, let’s do waffles!Print
Cheddar & Chive Cornbread Waffles
An extra-cheesy, savory spin on waffles. Top it with a fried egg and a dollop of sour cream and think breakfast for dinner!
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Total Time: 4 minutes
- Yield: four 7 ½" waffles 1x
- 6 ⅜ ounces (1 ½ cups, spoon and level) all-purpose flour
- 5 ⅝ ounces (1 cup) yellow cornmeal
- 4 ⅞ ounces (1 ½ cups) shredded cheddar cheese
- ⅜ ounce (¼ cup) minced chives
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 14 ⅞ ounces (1 ¾ cup) low fat buttermilk
- 2 ounces (¼ cup) ExtraOrigin OmegaOil (or sub olive/vegetable oil)
- 2 eggs
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, cheese, chives, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until evenly combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, and eggs until smooth. Add to the dry ingredients and fold in just until evenly incorporated. Let sit for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat waffle iron.
- Light grease waffle iron with nonstick spray. Scoop batter onto iron in portions (spreading out if needed since batter may have thickened quite a bit while resting) and cook waffles until deep golden-brown. Serve immediately with a fried egg and/or a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh chives.
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour
Disclosure: I was provided with bottles of OmegaOil to sample in order to make this post possible.