Every so often, I find a new favorite ingredient or flavor that I can’t get enough of. One winter, I went crazy over peppermint. Whether it was the classic combination of chocolate and peppermint or just peppermint alone, I was loving it. I think it was then that I started drinking Peppermint Mochas, and for a while they were definitley my all-time favorite coffee drink.
I’ve gotten over that non-stop craving for all things peppermint by now, but I still love the combination of peppermint and chocolate. I mean, what peppermint lover doesn’t? And since I’ve been having fun experimenting with my own “specialty” coffees at home – like my Iced Caramel Latte and Pumpkin Spice Latte, I thought I might as well try making my own version of the classic Peppermint Mocha I used to love so much. Turns out it was a FANTASTIC idea. Now I remember why I first started drinking those Peppermint Mochas… they are sooo good, and this homemade version proves it.
Rich and chocolate-y with the perfect amount of fresh peppermint – I don’t think your morning coffee can get much better than this.Print
DIY Peppermint Mocha
A dark and rich mocha with the fresh taste of peppermint, perfect for the winter season. It tastes just like it came from your favorite coffeehouse!
Peppermint Mocha Syrup
- (makes about 14 fluid ounces of syrup)
- 8 1/2 ounces milk (1 cup / 8 fluid ounces)
- 3 1/2 ounces granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/8 ounces dutch-processed cocoa powder (1/3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 ounces dark (bittersweet) chocolate chips (2/3 cup)*
- (makes one)
- double shot of espresso**
- 3 tablespoons peppermint mocha syrup
- 1/2 cup milk, frothed*** (or steamed, if not frothed)
- cocoa powder, for dusting (optional)
To make the Peppermint Mocha Syrup
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the milk and sugar. Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves into the milk. Sift in the cocoa powder and add the chocolate chips. Whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in the peppermint extract. Strain into a jar or other container and refrigerate.
To make a Peppermint Mocha
- Add the peppermint mocha syrup to the espresso and microwave for 20 seconds. Stir together.
- Pour the frothed (or steamed) milk into coffee mug, holding back the froth with the back of a spoon. Add the froth on top. Pour in the syrup/espresso mixture in a circular motion to disperse, simultaneously turning the entire top layer of froth a soft chocolate color. Dust with cocoa powder if desired. Enjoy!
*Or 4 ounces of any bittersweet chocolate bar, chopped (the chocolate chips I used are 60% cacao)
**If you don’t have the ability to make your own espresso, I would try using 1/2 cup of dark-roast coffee. Then, you can adjust the amount to taste for the future.
***I love this milk frother for making my lattes and mochas!