by alexandra

Post image for My First Confession: Chocolate Makes Me Nervous…The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever

Ok, so chocolate doesn’t really make me nervous, but it used to. When I was a little girl, I used to always say that to my parents. I don’t really know what I meant by that, probably that it looked too tempting to resist. In that case, I haven’t changed a bit. I’m one of those people who considers chocolate a daily nutritional requirement. I’ll have chocolate in my breakfast and my dessert… and let me tell you, dessert is a must.

So, I figured it would be appropriate for me to start my baking blog with my only chocolate chip cookie recipe. I say only not because I haven’t baked many others (believe me I have), but because once I made this recipe, there was no turning back. Why mess with perfection? Now I should probably put a warning label here: If you’re one of those thin, crunchy cookie fans, STOP READING NOW. These will not be the cookies for you. However, if thick, chewy cookies loaded with a plethora of chocolate chips sounds like your cup of tea, read on.

This recipe calls for dark chocolate chips, because I am a whole-hearted believer that the darker the chocolate, the better. What about you? For those who prefer semisweet, feel free to use them instead. I have also tried incorporating ground coffee beans for a note of espresso flavor or cinnamon for all you cinnamon lovers out there. Either way makes for a great cookie, but they are equally delicious without any add-ins.

Thick, Chewy, Super Chocolate-y Chocolate Chip Cookies

adapted from The New Best Recipe

(makes 18 cookies)

2 cups plus 2 T all-purpose flour

1/2 t baking soda

1/2 t salt

1/2 cup butter (1 stick)

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg, 1 egg yolk

2 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli)

1 1/2 t ground coffee beans OR 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)

Preheat oven to 325F

1. Melt your stick of butter in the microwave, by 30 second increments until completely melted. Let sit to cool while you mix the dry ingredients.

2. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl, whisking together lightly.

3. In a standing mixer, combine the melted butter and sugars. Beat at medium to high speed for 2-3 minutes. Add egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and ground coffee beans or cinnamon (if using either). Beat at medium speed for about 2 minutes.

4. Add dry ingredients to wet, and stir (beat on lowest speed) until just combined. Add chocolate chips and stir in by hand, being sure to thoroughly incorporate the chocolate chips throughout the batter since there is a large amount of chips used in the recipe.

4. Spoon the batter with an ice-cream scoop onto two lined baking sheets. You should get about 18 cookies. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-14 minutes, switching and rotating halfway through the baking time. The cookies should look rather firm when done (not gooey), but not at all browned. Allow to cool and enjoy!

Linked to:

Something Swanky Sweet Treats Thursday

Just Something I Whipped Up

Foodie Friday

Sweets for a Saturday

{ 29 comments… read them below or add one }

Lexie Lane August 12, 2011

Yay! I’m so glad you have this! I will definitely try! I can’t do them from scratch and have tried but never turned out very good. This looks easy enough! Thanks so much for sharing!

alexandra August 12, 2011

Let me know if you try them! Follow the instructions and honestly, I’d say you can’t go wrong.

Mandi August 12, 2011

Divine! I must try these. I’m a big fan of good chocolate chip cookies.

Thanks!

Mandi
Smile and Mama With Me

alexandra August 12, 2011

Please do and let me know what you think! Believe me, I’ve tried so many chocolate chip cookies and I’ve become a tough critic, so when I say they’re good, they’re good.

Not Your Ordinary Agent August 12, 2011

OMG, you photographs make me so darn hungry! thank you for stopping by today and linking these fabulous cookies! http://www.homesandbabies.com

alexandra August 12, 2011

Thanks so much! And thanks for hosting Foodie Friday :)

Kim Bee August 20, 2011

Hopped over a bit late. If I’d know these were here I would have dropped everything and come earlier. Such a great cookie. They look so good. Very impressed.

alexandra August 22, 2011

You’ll have to try them when you get a chance! They’re super good. Thanks for the sweet comment.

Izy September 12, 2011

ahaha I feel exactly the same way about chocolate, it seems to be a major part of my life ( I didn’t really realise how much until I saw that like half my posts included chocolate :/ ) your pictures are making me so hungry right now, I want one of those cookies!!

alexandra September 12, 2011

Wow I know I look at my posts and at least every other one involves chocolate (If there were a sheepish face I could put that would be appropriate right here).

It’s always nice to know I’m not the only chocolate maniac around. Thanks for letting me know :)

Hillary September 13, 2011

Hello to a fellow new food-blogger! I love the concept of this blog…”confessions”. Spectacular. Keep up the nice work. And you have inspired me to bake some chocolate chip cookies :)

alexandra September 14, 2011

Thank you so much! I’ve invested a lot of time into this blog and every time somebody writes me a comment like yours it makes my day. Enjoy your cookies :)

patricia September 19, 2011

what does the “t” represent in your ingredients list? e.g., ‘ 1/2 t salt’ ?

alexandra September 23, 2011

The t represents teaspoon. I have started righting out those measurements completely, but this is an earlier post. Thanks for giving me the chance to clarify!

waitarethosecookies November 3, 2011

mmm, these look delicious! I’m still on the search for perfect chocolate chip cookies :)

nicole January 12, 2012

Very good!

brighteyedbaker January 13, 2012

I agree :) Thanks! Did you try them?

Rachel January 23, 2012

Wow! This is such a straight forward recipe. I followed along and made the absolute best chocolate chip cookies that have ever come from my kitchen. Thanks!!! Everyone loved them so this has become my new go-to recipe.

brighteyedbaker January 23, 2012

I’m so glad you like the cookies! This is my go-to recipe as well; ever since I made the first batch, there hasn’t been anything I’ve found to match them. That’s good to know that the recipe was easy to follow. Thanks for taking the time to let me know!

Katherine January 23, 2012

Oh, these are too delicious! I’ve never liked chocolate chip cookies too much. They’re always too hard, or too dry, or too… just not it.

But these! Oh, I think you’ve killed any chance I had of actually losing weight this year. I’ve already made two batches since I found this post a week ago.

brighteyedbaker January 23, 2012

At my house, we always have these cookies on hand. I’ll make a double batch, freeze some, and keep the rest in the fridge. Every couple weeks it’s time to make more. I’m really picky about Chocolate Chip Cookies too; these are the only ones I’ll make :)!

Stefanie February 18, 2012

Hi! I just stumbled upon your cookie recipe while searching foodgawker for a soft CC cookie recipe and wanted to tell you these are great! So easy to make and super delicious. These will definitely become my go=to CC cookie recipe – and now I’m about to make a 2nd batch in less than a week. Thanks!

brighteyedbaker February 19, 2012

Wow! That’s great to here :) I am super picky about my chocolate chip cookies, and I this is the only recipe I make now. Don’t feel bad about making two batches in a week… I always make a double batch and I’m usually making a new batch every few weeks!

Lauren M March 11, 2012

Mine taste good but they came out hard as rocks and don’t look anything like the picture.. I followed the recipie but they seem very grainy from all the sugar and they’re almost hollow on the inside, idk what happened :(

brighteyedbaker March 11, 2012

That’s very strange. My bet would be that you somehow used extra sugar. It’s 1 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Also, make sure that once you add the flour to the batter, you only mix it until the flour is just incorporated. I hope you give it another shot; I’ve made these cookies a billion times without problems and have had others comment saying their’s turned out great as well. I can only assume there was an accidental fluke in the preparation :( Please let me know if you try them again!

Kim April 2, 2012

Hands down the absolute best looking and tasting chocolate chip cookies I have ever made! Thank you for sharing your recipe.

brighteyedbaker April 14, 2012

It puts a huge smile on my face reading comments like yours. These cookies are one of my favorite recipes of all; I’m thrilled that you like them!

Susan October 4, 2012

Being a connoisseur of chocolate chip cookies like any respectable woman :) I has bookmarked this recipe and finally baked it yesterday after an overwhelming, “drop all things that should take priority over baking” urge for chocolate took hold. Admittedly, I am a lover of Alton Brown’s The Chewy and this cookie holds it own next to it. I used a bit of bread flour like A. Brown and used Scharfenberger dark chocolate (a splurge only the best choc chip recipes are deserving of.) Wow! Would love to know if you have played with any add-ins? Lastly, loved that this was the beginning of your foray into blogging. I just bought my domain name but have yet to go live. Would love to cite you when I do! Kudos fellow chocolate chip cookie lover!

alexandra (brighteyedbaker) October 4, 2012

I think you and I are definitely on the same chocolate wavelength! I’ve never tried Alton’s recipe, though I have been tempted, but ever since coming across this recipe I’ve never really felt the need for a different one. Like I mentioned in the recipe, I’ve added cinnamon before, as well as espresso powder. Both were good. I’ve also tried a sprinkle of sea salt on top, but I don’t really feel like it was needed. I’ve wanted to try orange zest for a while now but haven’t yet. To be honest, I just love the simple chocolatiness of it so much that usually I don’t want to change it! That’s so exciting that you’re starting a blog! :) Send me the link when you go live. And if you end up wanting to cite me, I’d of course appreciate it!