It has literally been ages since I posted a biscotti recipe. And when I say ages, I mean that it was back in the time of recipes that I hardly ever link to because my photography skills were seriously dismal. Today I realized that I definitely need to bring biscotti back into my life again ASAP because I miss it.
Back when I was young, when I made cookies from Tollhouse cookie dough and thought cracking an egg was the most exciting thing EVER (and also a tricky thing to do without getting shells in the batter), chocolate-dipped almond biscotti used to be my breakfast thing – every day. We would buy the Nonni’s ones from Costco and I’d always try to choose the ones with the most chocolate on them, and then pick out all the nuts, because what kind of person likes nuts, right? Ahem.
I’ll admit that even now, I still like my biscotti doused in chocolate and will probably always seek out the one with the most generous amount drizzled on top, but I’ve also learned to love the light, uncomplicated flavors of a good vanilla recipe – like this ice cream and this cake. That triple threat of vanilla beans, vanilla sugar, and vanilla extract does an amazing job of creating this nice, mellow flavor and subtle sweetness that’s not at all intense like chocolate but still so good in its own way. If you know me you know that glorifying vanilla is SO not something I ever do EVER, but this biscotti makes me give vanilla some creds. It’s another perfect way to celebrate that simple but classic flavor; it’s light, crispy, and just the thing for cool mornings alongside a hot cup of coffee for dunking.
Vanilla Bean Biscotti
This simple, crunchy, subtly sweet vanilla biscotti makes for the perfect morning treat.
- Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 10-12 biscotti 1x
- 9 ½ ounces (2 ¼ cups, spoon and level) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ ounces (5 tablespoons) butter, softened and cubed
- 5 ¼ ounces (¾ cup) vanilla sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 vanilla beans, split and scraped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer (or using a bowl and a handheld electric mixer), cream together the butter, sugar, and vanilla bean until the mixture is light and fluffy and the vanilla bean is evenly dispersed. Beat in the eggs one at a time until well-incorporated, scraping down the bowl and beater as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix in on lowest speed, just until evenly incorporated.
- Transfer dough to the prepared baking sheet and lay a second piece of parchment paper on top. Roll out to a 12″ x 5 ½″ rectangle.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, just until no longer too hot to touch. Carefully slice into individual biscotti and turn onto one of the cut sides. Return to oven on second-lowest rack and bake another 15 minutes at 350ºF, and then flip biscotti and bake another 15 minutes on opposite side. Check the biscotti and remove any that are fully cooked (the edges pieces might be done). Otherwise, continue to bake another 5-10 minutes, until fairly firm on both sides; they will get crunchier as they cool.
- Let biscotti cool on pan completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.