When OXO asked me to jump in on their latest kitchen campaign – Ice Cream for OXO – I was literally wayyy to excited; it never fails to amaze me how ridiculously good homemade ice cream can be. Like, seriously?? It makes bearing 1,ooo degree summer temps totally worth it.
If I were to put this in the simplest words possible, I’d just tell you to make this ice cream because it’s IN-CRE-DIB-LE. Incredible. I’m so tempted to call every new ice cream I make my favorite, but by now I’ve caught onto the fact that it’s the whole homemade ice cream gig that gets me every time. I don’t want to pick favorites, because I absolutely adore every ice cream recipe I’ve shared on this little space of the internet, but this ice cream? I still really want to call it my favorite all the same.
Generally speaking, I’m not a mint chip ice cream fanatic, which means that I’ll usually pick coffee or dark chocolate over mint any day. And oreos? I can typically take them or leave them, emphasis on the leave them. (There are probably oreo lovers out there who want to shun me for saying that – sorry.) BUT, here’s the kicker: mint ice cream with all kinds of crushed oreo bits mixed in is the stuff my dreams are made of. And this version… is like the best dream my taste buds could ever imagine. The ice cream is soft and creamy (always a requirement) and ultra minty thanks to a bundle of fresh mint and peppermint extract. If you like those pastel colored mint nonpareils (aka these), imagine them in ice cream form and you’ll know exactly what kind of goodness I’m talking about here. Add all those oreos for crunchy bits of chocolate cookie mixed with sweet bits of creamy filling, and holy moly ice cream has possibly never tasted better.
The sugar dispenser, mini chopper, and ice cream scoop you see in the photos are just a few of the kitchen tools OXO shared with me to provide for this ice-cream making deliciousness. It goes without saying that I officially love them and have happily welcomed them into my very full kitchen. They’re total keepers in my journey to make more ice cream ASAP. :)Print
Mint Oreo Ice Cream
This minty ice cream has a creamy, refreshing flavor reminiscent of nonpareil candies mixed with chocolaty bits of crushed Oreo.
- Yield: approx. 1 quart
- 1 lb 1/2 ounce (2 cups) heavy cream
- 5 1/4 ounces (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce (1 packed cup) mint leaves*
- 8 1/2 ounces (1 cup) whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- green food coloring (I used 1/8 teaspoon of Wilton’s Leaf Green Gel Coloring)
- 20 oreos, chopped or crushed
- Combine heavy cream, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan and stir together. Submerge fresh mint in liquid and set over medium heat. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until steaming. Remove from heat, cover, and allow mint leaves to steep for 1 hour before straining them from the mixture.
- Add milk, vodka, peppermint extract, vanilla extract, and food coloring to cream mixture and stir in completely. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, about 5-6 hours or more.
- Whisk ice cream base and freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. During the last 5 minutes or so of churning, add the oreos. Once finished churning, transfer ice cream to an airtight container (the OXO Medium Square Locktop Container works perfectly for this) and freeze well, preferably overnight, before serving.
*I used chocolate mint, but I’m sure peppermint would work well too. Feel free to experiment with whatever type of mint you have. However, depending on the mint you use, you may want to adjust amount of peppermint extract to taste.
Disclosure: I received free products from OXO to use for this post. All opinions are completely my own, and I’ve always been a huge fan of OXO kitchenware which is why I’m happy to recommend their products. This post contains affiliate links as well. Thank you so much for supporting the sponsors who make Confessions of a Bright-Eyed Baker possible!