DIY Espresso Powder
Have a recipe that calls for espresso powder or instant espresso? Here’s how you can make it yourself. Use it for added flavor and richness in your favorite baked goods – especially those involving chocolate!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1-3 hours
- Total Time: 1-3 hours
- Category: how-to
- Method: baking
- leftover espresso grounds*
- Preheat oven to 175ºF.
- Crumble grounds up with your hands and spread out in a thin, even layer on a baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 1-3 hours, tossing every hour or so, until the grounds feel dry and slightly crunchy. The exact amount of time this takes will depend on how much of the grounds you start with.
- Using a coffee grinder, further grind into a fine powder; you may need to do this in batches.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Keeps for at least a year.
*You can use as much or as little as you’d like, depending on the quantity of espresso powder you want to make.
Keywords: espresso powder, instant espresso, how to make espresso powder