It’s the weekend, it’s all grey skies and cool breezes outside, and I literally can’t think of anything that seems more appropriate right now than a warm skillet brownie loaded with Nutella and oozing with chocolate. In an ideal world I’d be curled up under a blanket eating bites of this straight from the pan with a hot cup of coffee at my side. (And in this ideal world I would have no reason to feel guilty about that. Chocolate for breakfast? Obviously. Responsibilities? No such thing. And brownies? Practically health food. ← That would be a mini version of heaven right there.)
The good news though – besides the fact that IT’S THE WEEKEND(!!!) – is that this brownie is one bowl and about 10 minutes away from being in your oven, getting all hot and ooey-gooey and ready for your mouth. It’s one of those I-have-no-time-but-I-need-dessert type of things; you can literally whip it up right before dinner, throw it in the oven, and be all set to dig in by the time the dishes are done. And speaking on this last point, I did mention in the recipe that you should let it cool a bit before slicing, but let’s be real for a few seconds: most of us will just stick a fork in as soon as it’s not burn-your-mouth hot. There’s no judgement comin’ from here!
I’ll only judge if you deny the fact that you’d be tempted to dive into a homemade Nutella skillet brownie – especially one that’s absolutely overflowing with chunks of melting chocolate – as soon as it comes out of the oven. Take the chewy edge pieces or the gooey centers, whatever floats your boat, but if you turn it down you really must not know what living is about. :pPrint
Nutella Chocolate Chunk Skillet Brownie
A fast, easy, one-bowl recipe for a rich Nutella brownie loaded with melted chunks of chocolate in every bite.
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: one 10" skillet brownie 1x
- 7 ⅞ ounces (¾ cup) Nutella
- 4 ounces (½ cup) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 3 ¾ ounces (½ cup, packed) dark brown sugar
- 3 ½ ounces (½ cup) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 ⅜ ounces (1 ½ cups, spoon and level) all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ ounces (½ cup) cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons espresso powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 9 ounces chopped chocolate (or chocolate chips)*
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 10″ cast iron skillet with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Nutella, butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add the flour, cocoa, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt and fold in just until all ingredients are evenly combined; batter will be thick. Fold in chocolate just until dispersed, saving a bit for sprinkling on top of the brownie.
- Transfer batter to skillet and spread out in a flat layer, leaving a 1″ clear border around the perimeter of the pan. Sprinkle remaining chocolate on top.
- Bake brownie in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, until top is set and center is puffy; be careful not to overbake. Cool for about an hour before slicing. Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
*I prefer using bittersweet chocolate here, but feel free to use your favorite.
Recipe adapted from Country Cleaver