DIY Pumpkin Spice Latte
With all of the pumpkin treats that pop up during the fall, overtaking our lives in their spicy pumpkin-y goodness, it only seems appropriate that we have a good pumpkin drink to go with them. Am I right? And chances are, most of us think of pumpkin drinks and think of one thing…
Harry Potter Pumpkin Juice (nope, not that)…
Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Yum
So even though I love my Iced Caramel Lattes, I decided that it was time to switch it up because a) it’s supposed to be getting chilly (I’m not sure if the weather has made up its mind) and b) pumpkin drinks taste pretty good with pumpkin food. And since there’s going to be plenty more pumpkin food coming up here, I decided it was about time to share this recipe.
Turns out, making your own Pumpkin Spice Syrup is a snap. You need… pumpkin. And spices. And some simple syrup. Done. You can add it to foamed milk and espresso for a latte, or you can go the iced route, or even pair it with tea. (Between you and me, I was drinking Iced Pumpkin Spice Lattes for a while and they taste way better than they sound.) Once you’ve got your drink of choice, all you need is a tasty pumpkin treat (Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin, anyone?) and your morning is set. So seriously, go for it. You know you want to. :)
Copyright protected by Digiprove © 2012-2013
Pumpkin Spice Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups water (12 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (10 1/2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin (2 5/8 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground all spice
Pumpkin Spice Latte*
- 3/4 cup milk, steamed or foamed (6 fluid ounces)**
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin spice syrup, or to taste
- 2 shots espresso***
- whipped cream, for topping (optional)
- pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon, for topping (optional)
To make the Pumpkin Spice Syrup
- Combine water and sugar in a saucepan set over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves into water. Add pumpkin and spices and whisk until smooth. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent boiling. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about half an hour. Transfer to a jar or other lidded container, straining if desired. Store in the refrigerator and shake well before using.
To make a Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Place desired amount of pumpkin syrup in a large thermos or mug. Add espresso or coffee and stir to combine. Pour frothed or steamed milk on top and stir lightly. Top with whipped cream and a dash of pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon if desired. Enjoy!
*This is how I like to make my Pumpkin Spice Latte, but feel free to adjust the amounts of milk, syrup, and coffee to your taste.
**If you're interested in getting a milk frother, this is the one I use and highly recommend!
***If you don't have the ability to make espresso, I would try 1/2 cup (4 ounces) of a brewed dark roast, good quality coffee.