Wowza. Not even sure where to start with these blondies except to say that they are RICH – rich with dense buttery-brown sugar goodness, chewy caramel in every bite, and a thick layer of chocolate ganache on top. Did I cut them into giant squares for the photos you see here? Yep. Did I eat an entire giant square at once? Heckkkk no. I’m tellin’ you, these blondies mean business.
Truthfully I had no intention of exposing myself to the temptation of such an indulgence in my fridge all week, but then a big box of surprise goodies from Degustabox arrived in the mail and before I knew it, I was chopping up caramel candies and adding them to the richest of blondie batters ➝ NO REGRETS. Fast forward to a couple hours later and I’m faced with a pan full of fudgy brown sugar blondies layered with dense, chewy caramel on the bottom and silky, rich chocolate ganache on top: heaven in food form if there is such a thing.
For those of you who haven’t heard of Degustabox, it’s a monthly delivery service for a variety of (surprise) food products. Every month you get a box in the mail filled with a bunch of different goodies to try out, which I love because it means lots of fun new foods to snack on and/or create recipes with, most of which I probably wouldn’t have purchased on my own. This month’s box was filled with all kinds of yummy items like cheddar & sour cream popchips, Loacker Rose chocolates, and ALO Allure aloe vera and mango juice (← acutally super good, and who knew?!). For the blondies, I used two of my new Degustabox discoveries: White Lily White Grape & Wheat Flour and Goetze’s Cow Tales (caramel candies with vanilla cream center).
Needless to say, I loved both products; they created some pretttyyy epic blondies. Plus those caramels? Thankfully the majority of them went straight into the batter because I don’t think I could be trusted around them for very long at all. ;)
Chocolate-Topped Chewy Caramel Blondies
Brown sugar blondies loaded with chewy caramel and topped with a rich layer of chocolate ganache.
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 9 large or 16 small blondies 1x
- 7 1/2 ounces (1 cup, packed) brown sugar
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) salted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 1/4 ounces (1 cup, spoon and level) all-purpose flour (I used White Lily White Grape and Wheat Flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces (1 cup) chopped chewy caramel candies (I used Goetze’s Cow Tales)
- 7 1/2 ounces (1 1/4 cups) chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) salted butter, divided
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 9″ square pan with aluminum foil and grease foil with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and melted butter until well-combined. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat in until the mixture is smooth and slightly lighter in color.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and fold in until mostly incorporated. Fold in the caramel candy just until all ingredients are evenly combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan in a flat, even layer, smoothing the top out with a spatula. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the blondies comes out clean. Cool completely before adding ganache.
- Combine the chocolate and 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) butter in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30-second increments, stirring in between, until smoothly melted. Add the remaining 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) butter and stir in until melted and fully incorporated.
- Pour ganache over blondies and spread out in a flat, even layer using an offset spatula. Transfer to refrigerator to cool until firm but not fully set. Score through chocolate (as if you were slicing the blondies to serve) and then return to refrigerator until set. Once set, lift blondies from pan and slice.
- Store in an airtight container. Blondies are best served at room temperature.