- All-purpose gluten-free flour can be used in this recipe to make gluten-free cupcakes.
- White vinegar can be substituted with apple cider vinegar.
- If using salted butter, reduce the salt in the cupcakes to ¼ teaspoon and consider skipping the added salt in the frosting entirely.
If you have extra batter:
- You may have a very small amount of extra batter after filling the 12 muffin cups. If you overfill them, you’ll end up with slightly misshapen cupcake tops. Instead, you can bake any extra batter in a free-standing cupcake liner or a second muffin pan.
- I find it helpful to pipe the webs by doing the straight lines first - almost as if you were drawing a snowflake or an asterisk sign - and then piping the curved lines to connect the straight ones.
- Store cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Cupcake recipe adapted from Pinch My Salt, originally from Country Living.