Ingredient Notes and Substitutions:
- Use whole milk if possible, although any kind will work.
- Whole wheat flour can be substituted with all-purpose flour or extra bread flour.
- If you'd prefer to use unsalted butter in the frosting, increase the added salt to 1/8 teaspoon.
- To substitute instant yeast with active dry yeast, use the same amount, but proof the yeast with a portion of the milk and sugar rather than adding it directly to the dry ingredients. The milk should be cooled to 105º-110ºF for active yeast.
- Feel free to use light or dark brown sugar.
Overnight Raisin Cinnamon Rolls:
- If prepping rolls the night before, transfer them to the refrigerator at step 4 rather than leaving them out to rise. Let them finish rising at room temperature for 1-2 hours the following morning before baking.
Storing and Reheating:
- Any rolls you don't plan on eating immediately are best left unfrosted. Store the rolls directly in the dish they're baked in, covered with plastic wrap. Keep at room temperature for up to 3 days. Store the frosting in a separate airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Individual rolls can be reheated in the microwave for approximately 30 seconds, or until warm.