I’m admitting it right here, right now: this is a little bit of a cheater’s pizza and I don’t care at all. The side of me that would usually insist on doing things from scratch got squashed by the temptation to make things quick and easy, and this one time, I just don’t feel guilty about it. (Okay, maybe like .0001% guilty, but only because I tend to preach the whole “made-from-scratch” thing and for one little second I decided to be a hypocrite. I can deal.)
So this is me, for once, suggesting that you maybeee allow yourself a cheat, buy a pre-baked pizza crust from the store, and have dinner on the table in under 20 minutes. Because guess what? I promise you that the combination of cheesy garlic sauce + juicy roma tomatoes + fresh spinach + loads of mozzarella will make up for that little bit of cheating completely. Plus, who needs to boast about making homemade dough when you can boast about making your own pizza sauce?? YUP – we’re doing that. (It’s secretly super easy.)
Tomato sauce is good and all, but the homemade creamy garlic sauce is what makes this pizza. It’s on the rich and cheesy side, but when you combine it with just a few simple toppings like tomatoes and spinach, it adds just the right amount of intensity for a flavor-packed pizza that doesn’t feel super heavy. Then we brush the edges of the crust with a little bit of seasoned butter (gotta make this feel homemade, you know?), and wham-bam you have an awesome pizza that takes barely any effort. Just goes to show that sometimes the best things in life are also the simplest.
…Annnnnd now I’ll stop before things get all sappy. PIZZA!↓
(For step-by-step photos of this recipe, you can also check out the Steller story I put together below.)
Spinach & Tomato Pizza with Creamy Garlic Sauce
A simple but flavor-packed take on vegetarian pizza with a cheesy garlic sauce, juicy roasted tomatoes, and fresh spinach. A pre-baked crust makes this a breeze to whip up!
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: one 12" pizza 1x
Creamy Garlic Sauce:
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) salted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ¼ ounces (¾ cup) heavy cream
- 1 ounce (¼ cup) shaved parmesan
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
Crust and Toppings:
- one pre-baked 12″ pizza crust (I used Boboli)
- 3 ounces (1 cup) shredded mozzarella
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- dash of garlic powder
- dash of italian seasoning
- fresh spinach, chopped or torn into smaller pieces
- Preheat oven to 450ºF with a pizza stone set on the middle rack.
Creamy Garlic Sauce:
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and stir in well. Increase heat to med/med-high, add cream, and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Add cheese, salt, and pepper and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until sauce has thickened to a spreadable but no longer runny consistancy (it will thicken a bit more after taking it off the heat). Set aside to cool until no longer hot.
- Spread sauce over crust, leaving outer border clear, and sprinkle mozzarella all over top. Scatter diced tomato on top. Place on pizza stone and bake for 8-10 minutes, until crust and cheese are golden. Meanwhile, whisk together the melted butter, garlic powder, and italian seasoning.
- Remove pizza from oven and immediately brush edges of crust with butter mixture. Sprinkle spinach all over top and serve hot.
Creamy Garlic Sauce adapted from Simple Comfort Food