Longest recipe title EVER. I know. This is one of those things that doesn’t really have a name, so instead I just had to string together all the major components into one super-long description/title. This is why my recipes come in the form of written posts and not videos ——–> me saying “Open-Faced Fried Egg and Avocado English Muffin Sandwich” out loud even once is one time too many. And to be real, this is more of an inspiration-type thing than a recipe today, because most likely you could figure out how to make this savory egg-ified sandwich without me explaining how it’s done. I totally get that, but because it just happens to be so dang good, I decided to share it anyway.
There’s a very random story behind this “recipe” which involves me watching Spanglish one night – you know, the Adam Sandler movie? So there’s this sandwich scene – where he makes this amazing midnight-snack sandwich with an egg on it – and even though it was probably around 10 o’clock at night and I’d already eaten dinner and was about to go to bed, ALL I could think about was making a fried egg sandwich (I remember this vividly). So the next morning – even though I’m that weird person who literally never eats eggs in the morning – I made this concoction. It was quick and simple and easy, but it became one of those things that I’d get requests for on weekend mornings because it was just that good: Homemade Sourdough English Muffin toasted to golden-brown perfection + melted cheeeeeese + a fried egg + fresh avocado, all with a sprinkling of salt and pepper. See what I mean here? You just CAN’T GO WRONG.
Open-Faced Fried Egg and Avocado English Muffin Sandwich
A quick and easy savory breakfast option to start your morning off right.
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 3 minutes
- Yield: 1 open-faced sandwich 1x
- 1/2 teaspoon – 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 english muffin (I used these homemade sourdough ones)
- 1/2 ounce good cheese, sliced (I love horseradish here or a good parmesan)
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Once pan is hot, add egg and cook for 1-2 minutes on first side, until white is mostly cooked and egg has set enough to flip. Season with salt and pepper, flip and cook about another minute, or until yolk is cooked as desired.
- Meanwhile, top english muffin with sliced cheese and toast until bread is turning golden and cheese has melted.
- Add egg to english muffin and top with avocado slices, plus extra salt and pepper. DIG IN.