I’m a firm believer that pretty much anything involving bread + cheese is bound to be good. As I say that I’m mentally challenging myself with memories of grilled cheese sandwiches made from plain ol’ white sandwich bread and extra-basic american cheese, but even then, it’s still grilled cheese. When you take good bread and amazing cheese and bring them together, that’s when things get even better than good.
If you actually know me, which most of you don’t but – hi! – hopefully someday we’ll meet, you know that having a food-centered career is literally my idea of a dream job. Being asked to create an appetizer with Boar’s Head cheese is like almost as good as being given a year’s supply of chocolate to bake with. Almost :) But really, would you please force me to cook something and add lots of cheese to it? Okaythanks.
I’m obsessed with gouda so this Bold Chipotle Gouda is like my idea of pepper jack made 1,000 times better. It has a little bit of a bite to it, but mostly it’s creamy, smoky, and intense. That punch of flavor makes it the perfect appetizer cheese because you really only need a few simple ingredients to turn it into a bite-sized snackable. Some roasted garlic (helloooo!) and smoked paprika mixed into the gouda make it the perfect buttery, bold spread for a crispy baguette, and sautéed mushrooms on top make the whole thing that much better. I <3 mushrooms.
These crostini also make a good snack or dinner side, so in case you’re not entertaining anytime soon, you still have a very valid excuse to make them and eat them allll. <—— That’s my PSA for the day. :)
P.S. Since I love cheese, food, and pretty things, I have to tell you to check out the Create-Your-Own-Cheese-Board tool on the Boar’s Head website. It’s nifty and you can share your cheese board ideas with me (or your family and friends, you know, but I really want to see them too) and print a shopping list from it so you can create it at home. Yay!
Chipotle Gouda and Mushroom Crostini
A simple appetizer that packs a punch of flavor from smoky gouda cheese and sautéed mushrooms.
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 10 crostini 1x
- 10 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons plus ½ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 ¼ ounces (1 cup) shredded Boar’s Head Bold Chipotle Gouda*
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 10 small baguette slices
- 6 ½ ounces sliced white mushrooms, stems off
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss garlic in ½ teaspoon olive oil, salt, and pepper and spread out on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes, flip, and bake another 3-5 minutes, until fork-tender and golden-brown in spots.
- Add 7 cloves of garlic to shredded gouda and mash together with a fork until fairly smooth and creamy. Add the cream cheese and paprika and mash in until smooth.
- Mince the remaining 3 cloves garlic and toast the baguette slices.
- Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium to medium-low heat with 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and sauté 2-3 minutes, until tender, tossing with remaining garlic during the last bit.
- Spread cheese mixture over toasted baguette slices and top each with a few mushrooms slices. Garnish with a sprig of parsley.
- These can be served warm or at room temperature, and can also be toasted for 2-3 minutes just before serving if made ahead.
*Boar’s Head Chipotle Gouda isn’t available at every grocery store, but it’s definitely worth seeking out if possible. I was able to find it locally at a specialty/whole foods-type store. (Not only does this cheese taste amazing, but Boar’s Head premium products contain no fillers, no by-products, no artificial colors or flavors, no gluten, and zero grams of trans fat per serving! :D)
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.