Happy New Year! It’s crazy to think that it’s already 2012. This makes my blog about 6 months old now, and even though I have so much more to learn in this world, I’ve already learned heaps and heaps. So what’s my resolution for the New Year? Well, it’s not to eat less chocolate (that’s a joke!). What I’m really trying to do is improve my blog, which means that a major overhaul is coming up! I’ll keep everyone informed, but just know that Confessions of a Bright-Eyed Baker might have a new home pretty soon :)
–UPDATE: Welcome to the new website! You are currently viewing the new and improved Confessions of a Bright-Eyed Baker.–
In food news, I won’t be eating less chocolate, but I am trying to eat a little bit healthier now, particularly after all of the sweets and indulgences I enjoyed in the past month. I’m sure I’m not the only one, so I decided today was I good day to share a recipe for Apple Bran Muffins. I’ll be honest here and say that these are no sweet treat, but they are healthy and hearty. No flour+ no sugar = no guilt!
P.S. I would leave out the nutmeg in these muffins if you aren’t keen on the flavor.
Apple Bran Muffins
adapted from Play Into Love
(makes 12 muffins)
1 cup milk
1 small lemon (1-2 tablespoons lemon juice)
1 1/2 cups wheat bran
1 cup ripe banana, mashed (about 2 bananas)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup finely ground oats (oat flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
1/2 cup raisins (use unsweetened for sugar free)
1 1/2 cups apples, cut into chunks
Oven Temperature: 375 F
1. Preheat oven to 375 F and line or grease 12 muffin cups.
2. Combine milk, lemon, and wheat bran. Let sit for ten minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the mashed banana, egg, and vanilla. Add to the wheat bran mixture and mix.
4. In a third bowl, sift together the oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg (optional). Stir this mixture into the bran/liquid mixture until just combined. Fold in raisins and apples.
5. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffins cups. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Check to make sure a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean when done. Let muffins cool for about 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Enjoy filling up and feeling good about yourself :)