Fact: The apricot-almond combo will forever be a winner.
It makes some of the best scones I’ve ever had, a galette that tastes like heaven in your mouth, and now a KILLER granola. I don’t know how it took me so long to realize that these flavors belong in a granola recipe, but thank goodness I finally had this epiphany. I’ve made many, many batches of granola over the years and this is without a doubt one of my favorites. (It’s right up there with this chocolate one, which means you know it has to be pretty dang good.)
So if you haven’t noticed, I can’t seem to make up my mind as to whether I want to be on a healthy streak orrrrr just forget about it and make sugar cookie dough truffles all the time. Healthy recipe brainstorming just seems to be a lost cause on me right now, but the dessert ideas are a-plenty. That’s part of the reason why I’m REAL excited about this granola; it’s healthy, it’s yummy, and it works as breakfast or a snack ➝ that’s what I call a good deal. There’s all those honey-sweetened clusters of almonds and oats, tangy bits of dried apricot, and this intense almond flavor throughout thanks to that magical little ingredient called almond extract that I ♡♡♡.
I also think it should be said that as much as everybody seems to like their granola with yogurt or milk, I’ve become a big fan of eating it straight-up — kinda like you’d eat trail mix, except a million times better. This one is pretty much amazing any which way, but do yourself a favor and just grab a handful to eat without the mix-ins. The way you think about granola will FOREVER be changed – no joke. ;)Print
Apricot Almond Granola
A crunchy mix of honey-sweetened almonds and oat clusters plus tangy dried apricots.
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: about 4 cups 1x
- 3 ounces (¼ cup) honey
- 1 ½ ounces (3 tablespoons) unrefined coconut oil
- 7 ½ ounces (1 ½ cups) chopped dried apricots (use unsweetened to make this recipe refined sugar free)
- 5 ¼ ounces (1 ½ cups) slivered almonds
- 4 ⅜ ounces (1 ⅜ cups) old-fashioned oats*
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- Preheat oven to 300ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the honey and coconut oil for 30-60 seconds, until coconut oil has melted. Set aside to cool briefly.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss together the dried apricots, almonds, oats, and salt.
- While whisking, add egg white to honey and oil mixture. Whisk in almond extract. Add to dry ingredients and mix in until dry ingredients are evenly coated.
- Transfer granola mixture to prepared baking sheet and spread out in a large “O” shape, patting down firmly with the back of a spatula and leaving the center of the tray empty. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes.
- Turn off oven. Gently break granola up and return to oven with the door propped open until granola cools. Transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature.
*This recipe is gluten-free if made with gluten-free oats