I can’t count the number of times that I’ve had a recipe that calls for buttermilk but no buttermilk in the fridge. In fact, I rarely buy buttermilk, because my need for it is so sporadic. Here’s an easy substitute I often use that works like a charm.
- scant 1 cup milk
- 1 T white vinegar or lemon/lime juice
- Pour vinegar or lemon/lime juice into a measuring cup.
- Add enough milk to reach the one cup line.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, until bubbles start to form on top, and use just as you would buttermilk in a recipe.
- Can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Recipe Source: About.com